Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

DeafCom
level1
level1

TGR + CB vs. Laika + (edit: Greg-)Baton

Postby DeafCom » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi folks,

following an argument of CastleBravo in this thread http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=8416 I was looking for the recordings (thank you Laika for pointing me to the recs!) and watched. It turned out, that it was really a nice game with some interesting moves. I could not resist to make some screenshots which I want to share with you here.

So CastleBravo (CB or simply Castle) is Africa, TGR (aka RearEntry) Asia vs. Laika (Europe) and Baton (SA). CB already predicts that he will be "torn up" by Baton and Laika. Well, it's league server, dude. Btw, watch the aggressive radar setting of CB. All radars far from silos ready to move over the sea and smash cities by their domes.

First fleet encounters in the atlantic. CB's and Baton's atl fleets meet for the first time.

CB is really not doing bad in the actual battle. However, his fleet setting was a little bit spread. Watch the fleet movement commands around Africa.

Of course EUR, Asian and AFR remote Radars are blown away at once. Mainly by CB's subs on both coasts (!) and by TGR's and Laika's bombers.

TGR is urging CB to move CVs to atl. Well, geography is something debatable of course. Apparently, the CVs are already in atl, I see.

Then my favorite moment of the game: Laika's fleet has moved south and provides a nice little sea nuke demonstration. TGR seems to be concerned about his mate's commands: 'right. no, the other right'

The rest of CB's fleet groups to tiny little packages hindering further efficient sea nuking. Watch the brave subs launching far off any cover.

TGR consequently orders a "stray nuke" on the opponents fleets. I have marked the stray nuke by my mouse. It must be a MIRV...

Seconds later, red subs and CVs are past. Laika's fleet has won the battle in atl at this point in the game.

Meanwhile, TGR has kicked Baton in pac. So Laika decides to move his fleet on into pac.

Defense is neither a real strentgh of CB.

At the same time TGR does a good job on SA and CB drops out.

This dropout is not realized by TGR. He is yelling at the cpu which is strangely enough not marked as [CPU] here. However, the cpu identifies itself easily by a drunk launch.

TGR decides to leave as well considering continuation futile.

Luckily, first CB later TGR come back. CB continues launching in best cpu-style.

Nice arguments in chat.

CB complains about the general paranoid attitude of defcon players. Well, that's what the game is all about: Paranoia! This correct analysis can be seen as a step in the right direction.

Finished.

Especially Laika and TGR played a really strong game, rewarded by victory to Laika as his teammate didn't play like a drunk squirrel (what he actually was...*g*). CB's drop didn't make any sense especially when coming back. The navy battle was lost by CB in person, not by the cpu. So technical problems could be an explanation for this single event here. However, technical problems cannot held responsible for active subs at defcon 2 close to enemy waters or airbases full of fighters in bomber mode while under attack or empty CVs approaching opponent's fleet or ... Take it more easy, CB. You are much better than me, but the other three were orders of magnitude better here. No one really thought you were cheating, by the way.... just sarcastic guys everywhere.

DeafCom.
Last edited by DeafCom on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Castle Bravo
level2
level2

Postby Castle Bravo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:45 pm

i liked that thread
TGR
level3
level3

Postby TGR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

A good run-down of the match. It had the makings of quite a good game in it for the first half hour or so.

Thanks!
Baton101
level4
level4

Postby Baton101 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:47 pm

This game has a thread in general, so its not me playing but some cheater who uses other people names.
DeafCom
level1
level1

Postby DeafCom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:21 am

Baton101 wrote:This game has a thread in general, so its not me playing but some cheater who uses other people names.

Well, being a good scientist I came back checking key ids. Thus it turns out that the guy called "Baton" in the match discussed here has key id 3064051 (known as "Greg" in the SFCON rankings), while our Baton101 usually playing as "Ring of Power" or "Baton" has key id 434685. So, right, it was not "the" Baton.

DeafCom

PS: Maybe "Baton-Greg" isn't aware of Baton101? So I wouldn't go so far to call him a cheater only because of his nick. But - ehm - this is of course very unsatisfactory as e.g. FY's ranking is based on player names instead of key ids.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:50 pm

DeafCom wrote:3064051
Search for that ID on the forums. He knows precisely what he is doing.
DeafCom
level1
level1

Postby DeafCom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:57 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
DeafCom wrote:3064051
Search for that ID on the forums. He knows precisely what he is doing.

*sigh*

Senator pm'ed. I guess you cannot ban on SFCON servers Bert, can you? Is the guy banned on Dedcon Test Servers?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:50 pm

DeafCom wrote:Senator pm'ed. I guess you cannot ban on SFCON servers Bert, can you?
Nope.
DeafCom wrote:Is the guy banned on Dedcon Test Servers?
Yep.
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:21 pm

DeafCom wrote:
Baton101 wrote:This game has a thread in general, so its not me playing but some cheater who uses other people names.

PS: Maybe "Baton-Greg" isn't aware of Baton101? So I wouldn't go so far to call him a cheater only because of his nick. But - ehm - this is of course very unsatisfactory as e.g. FY's ranking is based on player names instead of key ids.

2v2 games are not a problem for the ranking. and for Baton`s 1v1 games i will check the keys. i will have an eye on it.
normally it is visible who is playing because of different styles.

Senator, come back :!: we need you :!:
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:01 pm

now he is using my name! no coincidence!
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style
let's dance for a while
heaven can wait
we're only watching the skies
hoping for the best
but expecting the worst
are you gonna drop the bomb or not?
Castle Bravo
level2
level2

Postby Castle Bravo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:33 pm