Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

SpitJock
level1
level1

A Defcon learning experience for a noob

Postby SpitJock » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi all,

Played Kudayta (AKA Noob Smasher) today - recording here: http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2012-0 ... _07.52.zip

Perhaps not the drubbing I deserved (or expected) but then I did have Africa against his EU, which I'm reasonably aware should have been victory to me, played well...

Perhaps someone could confirm that my take-aways from this game are in the right direction?

1. My naval game SUCKS DONKEY. My nice neat line would have worked better if he'd try to sail South through the middle of it, but then a good player wouldn't do that... But I'm always worried if I cluster ships too close together, the enemy might make 2 or 3 kills for the price of one - can that happen?

2. Subs aren't all that great at naval combat.

3. I'm not getting the best from my carrier-launched fighters. But I don't know how to improve that. Pointers anyone?

4. I could have made a few more kills if I'd waited until his silos opened up before firing mine?

The only thing I was happy with was how the airbase bomber runs went. But even then, I could have done better (it was still a little ragged).

What I'd really like is if anyone feels like chipping in with a few hints that might make my game better. And to say Thanks, Kudayta - really enjoyed the game.

SJ
TGR
level3
level3

Postby TGR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Off the bat:

You placed a number of ships in Kudaytas radar range. You knew where that radar was. Never do that.

For a Africa vs Eu setup, I would not set my silos up like that, a little tricky imo to get a nice synched launch.
You didn't stop his sub from molesting your fleet, ether keep active subs nearby your fleets or put a few carriers on anti.

By the time Kudayta was raping you with bombers, you weren't retreating and had few fighters in the air. In fact you just let your ships sit and get destroyed.

Also the way you placed carriers was noneffective. don't place them in straight lines, lumping them together can be a good but also risky tactic that I like. It allows for effective fighter spamming , but if you lose one carrier there is a chance of splash damage taking out others.

You should also be utilising spent subs by setting them to active mode and sending them to look for subs/ships.
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks TGR. That's the kind of input I was looking for.

I'm still finding at the moment I get kind of mentally overwhelmed when playing online. Always too much to do, and not enough brain cells to do it with... :)

SJ
TGR
level3
level3

Postby TGR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

SpitJock wrote:Thanks TGR. That's the kind of input I was looking for.

I'm still finding at the moment I get kind of mentally overwhelmed when playing online. Always too much to do, and not enough brain cells to do it with... :)

SJ

I still get overwhelmed when playing 1v1 , it takes a lot of concentration. If you are just beginning don't use a single ship setup, that particular way of setting up demands 100% attention and is kinda for the more skilled players.

3/4 ship fleets can be very effective and are easier to manage. You should search for some Hooru replays, or even Ace Rimmer they demonstrate that particular naval strategy well.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 pm

In that particular set up, you don't even have to leave the relatively safe confines of just-south-of-Lagos to win. Just a few tripwire battleships near the Africa/SA gap and some timely naval nukes can keep a guy at bay for hours.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”