Baton saves the day

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

SpitJock
level1
level1

Baton saves the day

Postby SpitJock » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:03 pm

My first ever game online today 2v2 with me in USSR and Baton in SA. Other guys in EU and AFr. I'm really sorry folks - can't remember your names properly. I think in EU was something like [GoD]Anastasya (maybe? - pretty sure about the [GoD] bit). And in Africa... something vaguely eastern-bloc sounding, beginning with a B?

I made howling error after howling error:
1. - Failed entirely to place radar to snoop on EU.
2. - Lost my entire surface fleet in the Barents Sea before D1, for only minor damage to EU navy.
3. - Lost my subs to naval nuking in the Greenland Sea early in D1.
4. - Mis-timed my bomber launches a tad. Scored some hits, but also watched a lot of nukes shot down early.
5. - Failed to remember to play difficult games BEFORE getting drunk...

And yet, despite my being mostly ineffectual, we still won thanks to some well-timed navy manoeuvres and a devastating hammer-blow silo and Indian Ocean sub launch from Baton with the victory countdown running.

Hooray! Tomorrow I try again, but sober.

SJ
TGR
level3
level3

Postby TGR » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Link to the replay?
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Ummmmm.... I dunno how to do that. :(
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 am

This seems to fit the bill.

http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2012-0 ... _15.39.zip

SJ, Baton is a top-notch player. Keep playing with people like him (and paying attention to what they do!) and you'll get better.
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:24 pm

I've watched that recording a couple of times now. Apologies to Blast Femur and Dubenko for being too drunk to remember your names (think I got confused with a game I'd just spectated).

Dubenko, are you also kinda new to Defcon? Nukes still in silos, subs and aircraft carriers when the timer runs out are a bit of a waste, and *might* have made a difference in the end...

My game was just awful. I've never used the Active Sonar before against the CPU (never needed to) so I hadn't realised how much peril my navy was really in until it was far far far too late... If I hadn't been able to flatten Eastern Europe and make bomber runs against Eastern Africa, I'd probably have been far worse off.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”