The "Fighters Can Kill Nukes" Myth revisited

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

- Tobias -
level3
level3

The "Fighters Can Kill Nukes" Myth revisited

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 pm

It seems that some myths never really die, or they come back on their own from time-to-time. Having watched numerous games, and monitored the discussion on the topic of whether or not fighters can shoot down nukes in flight, I have come to believe that the general consensus is that it is impossible. In fact, the issue was "resolved" many years back I believe. Nevertheless, today I played a player who, claiming ten years experience, also claims to be able to accomplish this feat. I watched the recording, and I don't see any nukes getting shot down. Hit, of course yes; but shot down no. This player sent almost all his local carrier fighters in pursuit of the mid air nukes, and you'd think he'd know better. yet he was adamant - he could do it. Anyhow, I've also noticed a number of other current players sharing the same belief. At first I thought it was a joke that experienced players were pulling on newcomers. Now, however, I've come to realize that it's not a joke and a whole crop of players actually believe this myth. Now Ive been away for awhile, so maybe this myth has finally been proven with a documented positive case; so I could be wrong. But I think that it would be best, and an improvement in overall gameplay, if those that know stomp this myth whenever it reappears.

Recording of in game claim of fighters killing nukes, yet I could not see that in the replay: http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2016-12/SFCON-1v1_2016-12-13_21.17.zip
Colytic
Site Admin

Re: The "Fighters Can Kill Nukes" Myth revisited

Postby Colytic » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 am

I haven't heard this in a long time...it definitely hasn't been proved.

If you see anyone claiming this, name and shame them here.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:46 pm

You would think that this myth would have died with the release of the source code... Fighters cannot shoot down nukes, period. :\

xander
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 pm

@xander: I've tried to offer the source code argument as the definitive proof. It goes in one ear and out the other. The latest rationale seems to be that "fighters would not auto-target nukes if they could not shoot them down." An interesting additional argument, which I had not heard before, is that whatever hits the fighters do place on nukes, while not killing them, somehow "weaken" them and make them more susceptible to a silo hit. Honestly, the myth is so widespread among the current set of players that I've just come to keep my mouth shut and avoid any argument about it. In any case, just reporting on an aspect of current game play.
Frozen Chozen
level0

Postby Frozen Chozen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:27 am

well if they are wasting fighters on nukes then they are not shooting our ships :)

Long live the myth :)

Greetings from the North Pole,
Ed
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 pm

lol
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:01 am

Radiant Caligula has shown, that it is impossible for fighters to shot down nukes.
As far as I remember, he had sent virtually all available fighters against one nuke. Nothing happend.
He did this in 2007, I guess.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:57 pm

I know, I know... But I have seen it!
Hello guys and lady

Return to “The Debriefing Room”