The 600+ Quest or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying...

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

The 600+ Quest or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying...

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Ok, 428 (if the population was 200m) is close, but not close enough. Anyway, it was a pretty good game.

As soon as it started, being Europe, I placed all twelve subs against the coast of Norway (hoping to ally with USA and 'surprise' USSR). I then placed all my carriers and waited. Waited some more, then USA/S. America joined up, USSR and Asia joined and it was me and Africa with out allies. I expected Africa to either try to join me 2v2v2 or 'hoped' that he would wait long enough for USSR to finish placing his units before considering me an opponent (to maximize my perceived victory over Russia). I was hoping the USSR would think that it would be Europe/USSR/Asia against the other three and not set up to defend/attack me. Africa didn't wait too long though and soon was a red commie.

At this point I received a request to join *yellow so I hit the 'request to..' button but someone voted no. Strange. I received a "I'm sorry, try again" and so I did. Same result. Uh oh, no ally for me! I then received a message from USA that he would not attack me. I had earlier informed him of my plans to decimate Russia (as an explanation as to why I hadn't requested to join them as soon as Africa joined the commies) and debated as to whether I could focus on Russia and handle a potential direct assault from the USA successfully and what sort of placement would work best.

At Defcon 4, radar shows me that the USSR has put most everything in sub range and Africa had not put any radar along his northern border. Thus, the reds would not be able to see any of my units early enough to be effective. At Defcon 3 I scouted the middle Atlantic with fighters to find none there and a reprimand from the USA. I decided that my west coast would be safe long enough to focus entirely on Russia. I commenced with launching all of my carriers bombers and a couple from my bases. Russia did surprise me by sending 8 battleships directly towards my subs and several of his subs in active mode. This wasn't good, his subs were moments away from swarming mine still in passive mode. Thankfully, my bombers took out a large contingent of his battleships and he pulled the couple remaining back. My carriers were able to switch to anti sub mode and move in to take out the most threatening of his subs. I did loose 2, maybe 3.

In any event, Defcon 1 couldn't arrive soon enough and when it did, western Russia was wiped off the map. Still nervous about the USA, I began moving my units south and encountered some of the African navy. I didn't hit much of anything in Africa but Cairo. I also had to keep carriers sending bombers/fighters as available over eastern Europe/western Russia for radar purposes. With the USSR out of the picture, I focused on Asia. Had I not wipe out the USSR, Asia's placement would have worked out great, but without that shield, his spread out silos were too easy (once I found them that is).

During the end of the game, S. America back stabbed the USA and tried to hit me, but having never joined he couldn't know that most of my silos were in perfect position to repel anything from the southwest. I took advantage of the break as soon as I noticed it and joined the USA. London was never touched. NATO did try to nuke Europe here and there, but I think his focus was elsewhere.

*Those that might have played with/against me may note that yellow is my favorite color to play as. Hey Jelco, there's a Poll idea.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”