level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:44 am

Quiet, we're debriefing :)
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:48 am

It became a discussion about COCKS between guys who don't even play.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:40 am

roflamingo wrote:It became a discussion about COCKS between guys who don't even play.

I've been watching your attitude over other threads. My only advice to you is to quit trying to invoke a reply back that insults you so you can drag them down to that level. Calling people gay or talking about cocks will just get you ignored :)

NeoThermic
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 am

Ace Rimmer wrote::shock: What in heavens name happened to my thread? :shock:

LOL I feel for you Ace. Deepest sympathies. Boy, computer talk is even boring and tedious when they are using WORDS!

I tried to blast some comedy elsewhere but certain ppl think equations and numbers make really good killer jokes...

Seen Idiocracy yet? Damn it's good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9k-OcviNNQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2WNjWJd8ufw

these are but 2 examples, In context its fantastic...
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 am

NeoThermic wrote:
roflamingo wrote:It became a discussion about COCKS between guys who don't even play.

I've been watching your attitude over other threads. My only advice to you is to quit trying to invoke a reply back that insults you so you can drag them down to that level. Calling people gay or talking about cocks will just get you ignored :)

NeoThermic

I'm not sure who you think you are or why you think I want your advice.

All I see on these forums are the same old tired, pedantic posts about people flogging their pseudo-intelligence. Any a lot of those comments are not even from people that play.

Why don't you guys play the game instead of trying to prove how smart you are?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:09 am

roflamingo wrote:I'm not sure who you think you are or why you think I want your advice.

He's a mod, or to be more accurate admin.

roflamingo wrote:Why don't you guys play the game instead of trying to prove how smart you are?

Perhaps people want to discuss things? The community isn't synonymous with the games it surrounds, it's a group of people who play and like the games, but they still have other interests, so they discuss other stuff as well.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:02 am

roflamingo wrote:I'm not sure who you think you are or why you think I want your advice.

Oh you know, just the admin of these forums. The advice is there if you want it, but like all good advice, it's best taken.

roflamingo wrote:All I see on these forums are the same old tired, pedantic posts about people flogging their pseudo-intelligence. Any a lot of those comments are not even from people that play.

The way topics work here is that we have a starting topic, which is based upon the first post. We then do this strange concept called conversation, and by page two or three, we might be on a different topic. If one follows the whole topic, one sees how we arrived at the new topic on the latter pages. Some topics will have multiple topics in them as the conversation progresses (f.e. the 'What is your OS' poll).

The way this community works is that they generally ignore the insults and the person throwing them. I'm rather sure you don't want to be ignored by the Defcon community, and thus I re-offer my advice if you wish to take it.

NeoThermic
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:03 pm

KingAl wrote:Quiet, we're debriefing :)

hehe 8)

@Ace: sorry for the thread hi-jacking. It happened spontaneously though ;)

@roflamingo : You would have a point about "showing off pseudo-intelligence" if that were the goal.

However, here a few people -me in particular- are pondering on HOW defcon's anti-cheating features work, what the impact on lag/bandwith is when a spec is allowed and on the security of defcon as a whole (which was mentioned by someone else in a different topic, aptly named "security" I believe).
That the discussion is not relevant nor interesting to you, or even frustrating because you cannot follow it, is not something I can help. I'm willing to explain anything I've said, if I'm asked too, and I have no pretense of claiming higher intellect than any other person by knowing these things, or taking an interest in them.
However, I particularly enjoyed learning how defcon deals with a few specific situations -from an enthousiast AND professional point of view- while perhaps the discussion can bring something back to IV (for this and later games perhaps?) or to other people participating in it. I do hope so.

And besides it's not hard to look "intelligent" if you focus on one particular area alone. Not knowing anything about that particular area doesn't make you dumb, as the opposite doesn't make you smart.

Talk to me about "stars"(actors/tresses, singers, groups, ) media personalities, music in general, tv shows and the (daily) "news" to name just a few and I'll appear to be the most stupid and desinformed person on earth.
The key is 'interest'. I won't join a discussion which doesn't interest me, doesn't stimulate something on some level...but if I'm interested in something, I won't hold back inquiring with people who could know more just because "it generally doesn't interest others". And I'll quaff my thirst for answers on the fountain of information as long as it freely flows ;)

In a very Zen way: Need a penny ? Take a penny. Have a penny? Give a penny.

It's all in your attitude, as Neo said so well. I get the impression you're the type of person that thinks all people driving faster than you are lunatics while all those going slower are grand-mothers...
Irregardless of the fact you have/haven't achieved 600+ points in-game (I didn't check back while writing this and am not going to do. If you did, good for you. If you didn't, well, most of us don't I believe) -or anyone else for that matter- *I* find two things particularly interesting: you CAN get such high scores and there IS a cap at +- 2147 (discovered by Neothermic _hacking away_).
And from the discussions related to the topic, I *learned* the population always gets halved. That must sound stupid, that I didn't "get it" before, but indeed, I never quite looked at the numbers in detail. I just saw hits and never wondered where the numbers came from. So I'm glad *someone* "intellectually masturbated* it out for me there, as it's an "interesting fact".

Thus endeth the lesson.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”