3 out of 5 ain't bad.

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

3 out of 5 ain't bad.

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Okay, played 5 games last night, well actually six, but the server dropped on one game because Feud apparently obliterated the host in mere moments after Defcon 1. Then Edit: his team mates taunted him about it, in a friendly jokingly manner I'd assume. I wasn't paying attention and learned the above when a new game started and Feud came in as a spectator.

Game 1: Played as S. America. I don't remember any of the details, I didn't win. NWO creamed us all. It was great fun. Still got more of my navy left though! Probably was the only reason I wasn't in the negative like everybody else.

Game 2: Played as Europe. Don't remember the details of this one either. My navy didn't come out so well in this game. :cry:

Game 3: Played as USSR. This one was Diplomacy. I was holding off placing my units until the very end and had only deployed subs. Before Defcon 4 hit, I got the dreaded "Defcon has encountered a problem and needs to close." What?!?!?!? It was then that I knew things weren't going to be so great. Defcon finally did close. I hurriedly restarted and rejoined hoping that the CPU hadn't totally screwed up my unit placement. Too late, it had. In fact, it was sending them to their death in some sort of nonsensical formation in the pacific. It had put every other naval unit in mixed fleets (I hate that) and put them in seemingly random courses towards the Americas. The silo/radar/base placement was just weird. Nothing had enough protection and everything was scattered everywhere. If there had been a sixth player in South Asia things would have been quite different I think.

Anyway, I abruptly pulled back all my naval units, including my subs which were supposed to be hanging back for a European back stab countermeasure. Mr. Roboto (USA) was going to be my first target. Before I could regroup and formulate a plan, somebody else began to reign down and remove him as a threat (for first place). Knowing Europe was no real threat anymore, and Africa was too close to multiple threats to survive, I moved on to S. America. Vince (Africa) had made a really good run against my silos and reduced my nuke yield substantially, but he focused on Europe enough to let me escape to return the favor. He got it from multiple angles as I thought he would. Using my awkward fleet of carriers haphazardly mixed in with battleships, I began to remove what navy I could find in the Pacific. Once cleared, I took the appropriate actions to ensure S. America could not lead.

He could have won, but didn't take advantage of my awkward placement (which I publicly announced as soon as I rejoined) and try for Moscow/Leningrad. He didn't think he could make it through Europe's Defenses. We convinced him that was a mistake. 4 1/2 silos could have managed, especially since I only had 1 silo even remotely close to those two cites.

Game 4: Played as Asia. Another Survivor game, and only 5 players. No USA. I beleive this was 3v2, with Africa on our side. I put my entire navy in the pacific, except 4 carriers to provide some protection from a potential African defector. He only had carriers there as well, so I felt secure. Anyway, the three of us pretty much wiped out Euro-Russia. I advised them to sweep up the Atlantic and I could come around the back side through the Bering Straight, expecting that Europe would keep his navy in the Atlantic and Russia would hold back above his country. If true, by the time I reached the Russian fleet, I believed, all the rest of them would have exhausted their navies and I could mop up. Turns out that he put quite a lot in the pacific but moved them towards a minimally protected S. America. I never did encounter his forces in the Pacific, so he must have moved straight out as I was on the move from the begining (I knew it would take a while to get above Russia). I was certainly surprised to find the waters above Russia completely unguarded.

Of course, using my new found freedom, I finished off what was left of those two territories. I couldn't get a screen shot as the server closed just as I was reaching for the 'P'. Solar kept it on real time at the end, I guess taunting us as payback for wiping his country off the map, and we were ready to get on to another game. Finally he left. Before he did, Africa, Lord of Kobol, had previously left so we decided to remove his silos and then his population. Once his silos were gone, we kicked him and the three of them ended up with a score of 9, 8, and 7. Solar, Lord of K. and Striker respectively.

I got bored waiting for Solar to move the speed and started doodling. I made some bacon and eggs whilst we waited. The unfinished version you see looks more like a face, but it ended up looking more like eggs and bacon in a frying pan.

Game 5: Another Survivor, this time 2v2v2. NA/SA, Europe/Africa, and USSR/Asia. Don't remember many details about this game except that I knew that Africa had to go down. He came out on top after the climax of the game. I had sent 3 groups of 3 subs to Asia and leveled its eastern coast with the help of a couple of subs from the USA. Europe had already been beaten, and the 3 subs I sent above Russia got lost in the shuffle, and were subsequently left too close to the coast and ended up on the bottom. I was still ahead of him (Russia) point wise and I knew the game was about to come to an end. Africa however was the leader. Several waves of bombers and the lack of protection in southern Africa remedied that situation.

Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Lol, hold up there Ace, I have to amend your decription of something.

Yes, I did administer an unholy beat down on the server in the opening minutes of the game.

But, I wasn't the one taunting him. His team got mad at him and started to be quite vocal in how worthless he was. I actually came to his defense, and told the guys to lay off him. He closed the server moments later. So, I was not trying to rub it in or poke fun at anyone, I actually felt kinda bad for him.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Feud wrote:Lol, hold up there Ace, I have to amend your decription of something.

Yes, I did administer an unholy beat down on the server in the opening minutes of the game.

But, I wasn't the one taunting him. His team got mad at him and started to be quite vocal in how worthless he was. I actually came to his defense, and told the guys to lay off him. He closed the server moments later. So, I was not trying to rub it in or poke fun at anyone, I actually felt kinda bad for him.

Fixed. Sorry, I just remember the 'Lessons learned' statements you made and *cough* assumed *cough* you meant you when stating "don't taunt the host..."
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:33 pm

Ah, yeah. I meant that those lessons were ones to be learned by all from the group experiance.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”