Nuking Enemies

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Kaiguy0207
level0

Nuking Enemies

Postby Kaiguy0207 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 am

Hello. I'm new to the game. I've been playing against bots in the demo for a little bit now. I can't seem to get in any hits with ICBM silos. I can launch them all at once, but I'll never get a hit. Do you guys have any tips for this?
Also, I get all my subs and clump them up by an enemy coast and launch all my nukes at once. That seems to work. I can usually turn the tide of a battle if I do this.
So, to wrap up: I need to find a way to get in more hits and stop wasting my ICBMs and relying on my MRBMs.
Endless
level5
level5

Re: Nuking Enemies

Postby Endless » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:31 am

I'm sure our friendly neighborhood trainer Lord Haw Haw will help you out.
MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Hello there,

I drew a rough guide to help you. Never mind that the ICBMs look more like dog turds, it will have to do for now.

The key concept is synchronization. This way, the enemy air defense systems will have less time (and opportunity) to stop your ICBMs.

In this example, imagine you are attacking someone to the northeast of your position.

First, make sure your silos are tightly organized in a pattern similar to this, and activate them at the same time. Do not select target cities, activate the silos only:

Second, select 1x speed and fire the first two missiles. It is imperative that you choose the same target city for all the missiles in one synced salvo:

Keep an eye on the missiles (so don't speed up too much without paying attention!), and as they fly past your second row of silos, select the same target city for those two missiles as well:

Repeat the procedure for your third row of silos:

Rules of thumb:

- Always start with launching the silos the farthest away from your target. So, if your target is to the south of you, and not to the north, as in this example, you start with the northernmost silos to achieve the sync.

- Start out by doing these launches manually, and by eye - and rehearse repeatedly. In time, you will learn to launch by intuition and instinct, knowing the time it takes from silo to silo, and in more time, you will be able to plan and sync launch several salvos with lightning-speed precision.

- Remember that these principles also apply for submarine and bomber launches. The closer you get the nukes headed for the same target, the more hits you will get.

Even some of the best players tend to display a sometimes sloppy technique when it comes to these lauches. So keep your synced launches tight, and you will become a decent player in short time. Good luck!
Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX
level1
level1

Postby Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Silo syncing is purely geometric, I base my launches not on the position of the nuke as it passes silo, but how much time has passed since I launched last silo. If you pack silos as tightly together as you can, it takes precisely 50 seconds for the nuke of one silo to be perfectly in sync with another assuming the 2 silos and your target are co linear.

My strat is as follows

TEPCO
level1
level1

Postby TEPCO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 pm

if the line cross the elipse line (same color) u will get the flytime. i only want to show how hard it is to synch silonukes with math. i think the eye method is best for beginners...
the picture is only right for the visible silos in this special case.

Abu Jazar
level2
level2

Postby Abu Jazar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Actually, TEPCO, it's more like this:

TEPCO
level1
level1

Postby TEPCO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 pm

yes, thats true i m the one who must read and understand that. the math isnt that hard as the language he wrote down. math only goes hard if u far away from 2D and 3D.
Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX
level1
level1

Postby Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 pm

TEPCO wrote:if the line cross the ellipse line (same color) u will get the flytime. i only want to show how hard it is to synch silonukes with math. i think the eye method is best for beginners...
the picture is only right for the visible silos in this special case.

Can you prove that is it in the shape of an ellipse? No? I've done experiments that is it purely based on distance. My methods works to 100% accuracy.
TEPCO
level1
level1

Postby TEPCO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX wrote:Can you prove that is it in the shape of an ellipse? No? I've done experiments that is it purely based on distance. My methods works to 100% accuracy.

cant believe it.

if u shot two silo nukes horizontal - vertical (same wide) there are a time difference between. so that my thesis is it must be a ellipse.

the way u do... i tested over hours and hours, with the result that must be a non linear function. maybe the developer can tell us the truth about the real function behind.
in all cases i tested with my calculation was not perfect but near perfect... i believe there are a prob with double and int numerals. dont know how accurate the game calc... maybe the game dosent calc anthing only use a shart of result and do a simple calculation.

would be cool if anybody can post the real source formuala.

i will test it with rofl mod.... maybe my scale are compressed ingame.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:17 pm

You guys have all these theories, but how come you guys still suck?
;) jk jk
But seriously
Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX
level1
level1

Postby Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:48 pm

It's a circle but launches close to the poles (thinking a US to RU launch) can be slightly affected by the top of the map and be crammed, however, since you pack your silos tightly, all of your nukes will still end up arriving at the same time because all of them will be crammed under the top of the map. If you really need to offset this, just make silos at the bottom of your group launch 5 seconds earlier, if that. As long as all the nukes hit within 20 seconds of each other it's an effective sync.

And endless, 1v1 me sometimes, You never know, I might surprise you ;).
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Xx_MLG_Noah_MLG_xX wrote:Silo syncing is purely geometric, I base my launches not on the position of the nuke as it passes silo, but how much time has passed since I launched last silo. If you pack silos as tightly together as you can, it takes precisely 50 seconds for the nuke of one silo to be perfectly in sync with another assuming the 2 silos and your target are co linear.

My strat is as follows

That's like I do it also. The surprising thing about it: the airtime of nukes is proportional to the silo-target distance. Since nukes travel along arcs you would not suspect it at first.

And then there is an important exception, if nukes go far north (or south, but that hardly ever matters) the game will flatten thier trajectory to keep them inside the map, it destroys the proportionality and shortens the airtime.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:38 am

That's not bad at all Max, not bad at all.

My only complaint is: Why didn't you use screen shots? You're prolific with the screenshots. Every god damn thread. Except here. Where it would be helpful.

:)
MAXtheMASTER
level2
level2

Postby MAXtheMASTER » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:14 am

You know kudayta - it actually didn't dawn on me that it would be easier! (Facepalm)

Return to “General”