Mongolian Defcon

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Mongolian Defcon

Postby Crusader Scott » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:35 am

I found this interesting news blurb: http://www.mongolia-web.com:80/content/view/1226/2/

Mongolia is sitting in the middle of a nuclear-armed chess game being played out between China and Russia.

To Mongolia’s south, the Chinese have recently upgraded launch pads for intercontinental ballistic missiles at their base in Delingha.

To Mongolia’s north, the upgraded Delingha facility now has within its range Russian ICBM fields as well as the SS-25 fields near Novosibirsk and Irkutsk, the SS-18 field near Uzhur and a Backfire bomber base in Belaya.

The Nuclear Information Project for the Federation of American Scientists reported on July 12 that satellite photos displayed by Google Earth show the Chinese work at Delingha also puts much of Northern India within range of Chinese missiles.

Analysts note that China may simply be increasing its missile targeting options at Delingha. Besides putting into range Soviet bases, the Chinese also are able to target American bases in Afghanistan.

Not to make light of a serious issue, but as I read that I said, "Boy! Sounds just like a game of DEFCON!" And it really does! :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:05 am

Well, the Great Wall was getting a little out of date to fend of the modern mechanized Mongolian horde...
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:54 am

Soviet bases :)
torig
level5
level5

Re: Mongolian Defcon

Postby torig » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:18 pm

Crusader Scott wrote:
near Novosibirsk and Irkutsk