General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

deSelby
level0

Re: "Storyteller" is a cheat

Postby deSelby » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 am

trickser wrote:
deSelby wrote:
Endless wrote:It takes a ship(s) 1:45:00 to get from the southern most deployable point in the Pacific from Russian territory, to both Madagascar and Sao Paulo. I know it's not related, but ships are relatively low speed. Once you start going over land, you cant change course. So if it was taking him 4 hrs to get there with a lone BB then it is either super stupid, or an accident.

It didn't take 4 hours, It started after 4 hours.

Endless point was it took the one BB an eternity of gametime to go from it's start to your silos. Most games dont even last that long. It is pretty useless. Just like in your game, where it had no effect at all.

So likelihood of accident > likelihood of cheat.

Exploiting the games bugs to get an advantage is not accepted among players, but the cases of usefull landsailing are rare and this one made no exception.

I will finally point-out that it was a long game that would have continued indefinitely had I not launched. The timing of the land-sail (just after his Indian fleet had been wiped-out) is highly coincidental.

But based on your opinions - which I respect - I will stop flogging this horse now.

I have removed the player's name from the title and edited the first post. If I encounter this player on the servers again I will apologise in person.

Thank you.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:36 am

deSelby wrote:
trickser wrote:likelihood of accident > likelihood of cheat.

The timing of the land-sail (just after his Indian fleet had been wiped-out) is highly coincidental.

Actually not. The bug was triggered at 3:15, when the ship got it's last order. That's the natur of that bug. There is the the map wrap in mid pacific where the longitude switches from +180 to -180 and if the ships thinks it's on a direct line to it's (valid) destination it won't check for land again. So the bug can only be triggered there and any new (valid) order to the ship will interrupt the bug.

I don't know if the player intended to trigger it. His orders would have made sense if the bug would have not occurred. But I can also see some merit for the player in triggering it by will, cause he knew the approximate silo location and could have hoped for a scout. Just again, the odds for that stunt to pay off are very low (not only long time, also ease of defense), the odds to trigger the bug by random commands in the pacific are way higher.

Anyways I can totally understand why you think it's cheating, so
deSelby wrote:I have removed the player's name from the title and edited the first post.Thank you.

thanks for showing good will here.
VSj
level2
level2

Postby VSj » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:07 pm

deSelby wrote:
VSj wrote:However, someone apparently did already ban that guy's keyid today.

What does that triple dot mean? :D I'm a simple man.

The ban in question has been removed.

Due to an embarrassing technical curiosity (that has now been fixed), I have no idea who set the ban. Only when and where. Not that I care, but just in case there was a reason other than the battleship discussed here and/or someone believes the ban was deserved, please speak.
Rad Poison
level2
level2

Postby Rad Poison » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:59 am

VSj wrote:
What does that triple dot mean? :D I'm a simple man.

The ban in question has been removed.

Due to an embarrassing technical curiosity (that has now been fixed), I have no idea who set the ban. Only when and where. Not that I care, but just in case there was a reason other than the battleship discussed here and/or someone believes the ban was deserved, please speak.

Hi there, it was me who banned him for nothing more than that battleship incident. For your technical curiosity not registering who set the ban, I used the empty G6 1v1 Default server and logged in from spectator channel.
VSj
level2
level2

the old thread subject was here

Postby VSj » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Rad Poison wrote:Hi there, it was me who banned him for nothing more than that battleship incident. For your technical curiosity not registering who set the ban, I used the empty G6 1v1 Default server and logged in from spectator channel.

Ok. Thanks.

I saw it was on the Default #2 Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:25:12 -0400 but the log file was lost. That won't happen again :)

Return to “General”