General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Endless
level5
level5

Re: Defcon game lobby slow to load?

Postby Endless » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:47 pm

VSj wrote:
Endless wrote:Maybe everyone is trying to say that they are tired of group 6 being jammed down their throats?

Maybe. Jamming things down throats is unpleasant :( Are you referring to some specific thing or the overall existence?

I'm just yanking some chains. No real meaning there. :)
deSelby
level0

Postby deSelby » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:07 pm

I have noticed this slow loading too since starting to play again about 2 weeks ago. Sometimes the authentication doesn't register and I have to restart.
The server list doesn't appear for me about 40% of the time.

Also very noticeable is that my fan on my laptop goes nuts when I'm in the lobby. Never noticed this before - and I've been using the same laptop (Win7 64bit, i7, 8gb, yadayada) for a few years. No other application causes my fan to do this.

I have no idea re: causes, but there is definitely something not right.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm

deSelby wrote:Also very noticeable is that my fan on my laptop goes nuts when I'm in the lobby. Never noticed this before - and I've been using the same laptop (Win7 64bit, i7, 8gb, yadayada) for a few years. No other application causes my fan to do this.

I have no idea re: causes, but there is definitely something not right.

You need to turn on V-Sync for OpenGL (or 3D in general) in your video driver, otherwise defcon will soak up all available CPU power (at least of one core) and turn it into heat.
deSelby
level0

Postby deSelby » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:30 pm

trickser wrote:You need to turn on V-Sync for OpenGL (or 3D in general) in your video driver, otherwise defcon will soak up all available CPU power (at least of one core) and turn it into heat.

Hi and thanks for the tip.
I haven't changed these setting since the last time, however I will investigate and maybe re-install the drivers.
Thanks again.

Return to “General”