Welcome to Paradise

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
vic
level2
level2

Welcome to Paradise

Postby vic » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm

I have a confession which might make me very unpopular. For the past ten weeks, I have exchanged my desk and laptop for tropical beaches, swapped my daily excessive intake of cups of tea, for an even larger consumption of Mango Lassis and Bintang beer and switched my everyday mission from selling games to the pursuit of impressive tan-lines. That’s not to say, I hasten to add, that I did not try to spread the good word about Introversion as I roamed about SE Asia, rather that the PR took slightly more of an informal turn, often involving copious amounts of jungle juice cocktails (never did learn the ingredients), an eclectic mix of traveller types and a lot of animated conversation. I became known solely as ‘Nintendo Girl’ on one island and more than a few hopefuls asked if I happened to have any spare copies of our games stashed away in the backpack. All in all though I feel confident that we might see sales of all our games increase by at least 100% on the lovely island of Gilli Trawangan in Indonesia. Not bad when you consider that there's only one DS that does the rounds amongst its few hundred occupants and most of the PC’s on the island seem to be operating on ‘Malibu time’ i.e. slow, very slow. It's clearly not an island catering to the needs of an average games enthusiast.

Might explain why Gilli’s inhabitants are the happiest and most relaxed people I’ve ever met.

About half-way into my trip I got an email from Mark urging me to return home soon to restore some order as Introversion attempted to alleviate some of the tedium of a long beta phase with the introduction of specific "morale-boosting" exercises. Not entirely sure why he thought I’d be the disciplinarian within the company since I personally think the introduction of BBQ Mondays, Champagne and Caviar Wednesdays and 12 Pint Fridays an inspired idea. All in all it appears however that Mark’s concerns about the effects of a new weekly schedule of debauchery on Introversion’s level of productivity were unfounded as my return to London last week revealed.

In my absence, the dev team have been hard at work making sure that Multiwinia is our most fun game to date and my first full game of Multiwinia was certainly that, if only slightly marred by falling for Mark’s ‘I promise to be nice to you, since you’ve only just got back’ ploy. Can’t believe I fell for that one again.

Game over - Mark obliterates my last few Darwinians.

It was also good to see that finally the great name debate had reached a satisfactory conclusion and marks a continuation of Introversion’s flirtation with the tagline. Multiwinia: Survival of the Flattest – I had to smile, somehow it seemed inevitable we’d end up going right back to the name we’d first thought of!

Morten’s great new logo – look out for more of his fantastic artwork over the next few months.

So as work on Multiwinia rumbles promisingly on and the balmy airs of far-flung tropical paradises fade into distant memory, it appears that all we have to really worry about now is what to do on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Any ideas, answers on a postcard to the usual address.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:33 pm

F1RST POST!!!
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:16 pm

To slightly paraphrase The Holy Grail, "You lucky, lucky bitch."

Glad you enjoyed your time, and erm....meh you played multiwinia, I am envious, of both the island and multiwinia.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Agreed.

wwarnick
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:21 pm

[pedantry]I'm fairly sure that's Life of Brian, post-UFO-sequence[/pedantry]

Multiwinia is looking awesome, as ever; I hope your holiday went as well as it sounds!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:39 pm

Multiwinia sounds better than any of the suggested other names, anyway.

Great to see it coming closer to completion :D
recover
level1
level1

Postby recover » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:58 pm

You made a good call to stay with Multiwinia.
Survivial of the flattest is a catchy line as well, but I don't know if most people will "get it" the first time they hear it...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm

They may not "get it" but they will sure want to find out what in the world it is. I would.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Welcome to Paradise

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:05 pm

vic wrote:Image

Hmm....

Welcome back :)

NeoThermic
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 pm

Rkiver wrote:To slightly paraphrase The Holy Grail, "You lucky, lucky bitch."

Glad you enjoyed your time, and erm....meh you played multiwinia, I am envious, of both the island and multiwinia.

personally I'm more jealous of multiwinia than the island ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:09 pm

vic wrote:Image
Might explain why Gilli’s inhabitants are the happiest and most relaxed people I’ve ever met.

Did you bring some back for me? :P
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 pm

Back from Indonesia myself though my surroundings were less tranquil – I was only in Jakarta for a day but it’s like a mechanised wild west.

Lovely big park in town, just the place to get away from the demolition derby raging around Jakarta, except it’s too dangerous for people to wander in so they’ve converted it to a Venison farm :shock:

vic wrote:Game over - Mark oblitterates my last few Darwinians.

fix'd :wink:
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:49 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Image

Nice.

wwarnick
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:31 am

ynbniar wrote:

Sorry, may be the Swiss beer and lack of sleep but why green instead of red for a correction and why the extra 't'?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 am

Montyphy wrote:
ynbniar wrote:

Sorry, may be the Swiss beer and lack of sleep but why green instead of red for a correction and why the extra 't'?

Sorry...I was being self indulgent...green for your standard Darwinian...and the extra "t" for...

this

:wink:

EDIT
fruit beer?

Return to “Introversion Blog”