"SuiSilos"- The European Blitz Attack

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

"SuiSilos"- The European Blitz Attack

Postby Feud » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:12 am

This is a move that I have been experimenting with for the last several weeks, and one that shows great promise. While I won't call it unbeatable, I have not yet been beaten while using it (though several games have been close). It is to be used when playing as Europe in a 6 player game.

Setup
First, silos are setup along the border in this manner:

Airfields setup in this manner:

And naval units deployed as such:

Movement

As soon as they are deployed, the navy should begin to move towards the Caribbean. As soon as Defcon 3 hits the carriers should launch all of their bombers, followed by all of their fighters. Airfields send all of their bombers into the Atlantic if needed, and if not then North by Russia to buy time. The point is to gain control of the North Atlantic surface as quickly as possible.

Once you reach the destination, pull you r carriers back while sending your battle ships along the coast (away from your subs) as a distraction.

Defcon 1

It is vital that you move quickly, so I advise you go to real time just before Defcon 1 hits (every second counts). The two silos near Cairo target Cairo with at least three volleys each, then cities in Africa of opportunity. The two by Moscow target Moscow with 2-3 volleys, the two by Leningrad target Leningrad with 2-3, and then Russian cites. ONLY cities are targeted.

The subs are surfaced as quickly as possible (the battleships along the coast should have distracted most of their defenses). One group of six targets New York with six, Washington with 6, Chicago with at least 6 (maybe more due to it's inland nature), then targets of opportunity. Six more subs target Mexico city with at least two volleys (I recommend two, then split a third between it and surrounding cites) so that you can make the hit, and at least two at Lima. Any remaining bombers in the Atlantic hit coastal cities of opportunity.

Winning

Unless they park their entire Silo setup right on your doorstep, you will easily punch through to Cairo, Moscow, and Leningrad. The Atlantic is the deal maker or breaker, but if you can clear it without losing too many subs you should be ok.

You will quickly rack up points, and will be gutted by Africa, Russia, and possibly NA. Your remaining bombers and carriers should make raids on the Ivory coast and the Americas,to help keep your points up. If done correctly, you will have struck nine or ten of the major cites in the first few minutes of the nuclear war. Those attacking you will have easy points, but those points will be divided between them.

Once you are done you will have a quiet game. Keep throwing what you can at the enemy, but understand that your role is largely over, and you may have a bit of a wait. Due to the 2:1 point system in default, you should be able to ride it out to victory.

The ideal ally for this would be Asia. They can pound Russia and Africa as they counter blitz you, and can also hit California to mop up those major cities.

It's quick, it's ugly, it's unrefined, but by golly it works.
Last edited by Feud on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:01 am

:mrgreen: Bravo!

I have used something like this from the beginning. Im surprised that only now people are starting to see that grouping silos in 6 player is often the wrong choice. I didnt discuss it on purpose, since I wanted to win more games :P Oh well, I guess the sheep oops I mean people will start to follow the great Feud soon..

Look at the offensive reach of those silos. You will quite surely be the closest launcher to Cairo, unless Asia deployed right next to it.

Look at the multi-target and city orientation and effectiveness / nuke fired.

Haha, even the 6 piece fleets are the same I have always been using :D Although I say you can still split the battleships to groups of 3 or 4.

Possible weaknesses:

-Oppression by Russian bombers (prevention of launch of more than 1-2 nukes from your silos)
-NA fleet storm towards EU
-Crunch between Russia / NA allied (will leave you on really low points..)

Thus is the fate of Europe.. Your early launch will often be prevented/suppressed by enemy pressure. But it might be enough to get those 2 nukes off each of your silos.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:25 am

Yeah, actual ships per fleet isn't that big of a deal, so long as they are all there. Be they 6, 3, 2, 1, or what ever, what ever the player is able to handle.

It does have the potential to go horribly wrong. If NA, SA, or Africa join up to storm the Atlantic then you are hosed. If Asia sets a silo next to Cairo you are in trouble, and if Russia pulls off an extremely well timed bomber attack on your silos then you are in deep trouble.

But, the potential payout is huge.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 am

Wonderful, but it's a great gamble. Too many whatifs. Russia will see this setup and will try to take out those silos. If it's successful Russia would be the winner. I don't really think that this setup will sustain 30 bombers + sub launches from the north. You have to neutralise Russian fleet in the north. And you're gambling on the situation in Atlantic. Too risky. Besides, Moscow/Leningrad/Cairo can be nuked by the bombers. I don't see the point in exposing the silos.
NMO
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 am

torq wrote:Wonderful, but it's a great gamble. Too many whatifs. Russia will see this setup and will try to take out those silos. If it's successful Russia would be the winner. I don't really think that this setup will sustain 30 bombers + sub launches from the north. You have to neutralise Russian fleet in the north. And you're gambling on the situation in Atlantic. Too risky. Besides, Moscow/Leningrad/Cairo can be nuked by the bombers. I don't see the point in exposing the silos.

It won't "sustain" anything. You will be lucky to get half of the missiles off before the silos are destroyed.

Like I said, it is risky. But, I've tried it several times thus far and the gamble has always paid off. It is so unexpectedly aggressive that most players aren't sure how to respond to it, and by the time they can really recover the damage has been done.
whac-
level1
level1

Postby whac- » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:22 am

I must say this is a real good startegy. I will definatly try it alteast a few times in a 6player game. The Tactic is great going after the big cities. But there are a lot of downsides to it as well. IF russia and europe arent allies. Then wont russia have its fleet right on top of europe. and if he is a pro player he will defiantly wipe you out. what is say is a much safer move is having some fleet in on top of europe just to be safe. And take a chance with your subs in the atlantic going after New york and chicago. Maybe even mexico but if your lucky
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:28 am

I can agree about one thing. Winning with this strategy will really piss off your opponents. :lol: And if you rename yourself such setup will indicate you are a noob and thus an easy target. People tend to get relaxed with noobs and that probably explains why this strategy was successful.
NMO
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:14 am

Let me tell you why the gamble has paid off.

Simple: it is actually a series of smaller gambles, with a good rate of success and huge payout for each.

Probability mathematics takes care of the rest: usually you will succeed at most of these targettings, Moscow, Cairo, Leningrad, East Coast USA.

Further suggestions:

-Actually decided to withhold these, lets see if you guys can refine the idea =P

Oh, and agreed about pissing off enemies :P In mostly every game I play someone gets mad at me :D

Torq: The point in exposing silos is to be the closest one to launch at Cairo, Moscow and Leningrad. Also you can cut inside the Russian silos defence area, letting their AA have less time to fire at the nukes.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:59 am

I can see why this would work as Europe, but surely it could work nearly as well for Asia? You can get Moscow and Cairo, and also have a crack at Mexico still, if you're quick with subs. The west coast of NA is often undefended, too, so all that's left is London and New York. Meh, it's imperfect, but it'd probably work :)
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:17 am

For Asia, this kind of a total all-out attack is less useful, but of course applicable somewhat.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:26 am

Pater wrote:Torq: The point in exposing silos is to be the closest one to launch at Cairo, Moscow and Leningrad. Also you can cut inside the Russian silos defence area, letting their AA have less time to fire at the nukes.

My point is that bombers can do the work on Cairo, Moscow and Leningrad with the same (or probably higher) efficiency. And you can get your bombers really close to Cairo. And another thing - with a setup like that Russia will most probably hit western Europe cities first. AND - Russian/Asian bombers might get even closer to Cairo than your silo.
NMO
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:54 am

Ace told me about this after one of his 1 v 1s I was speccing, and he said he thought you were insane while he watched you do it :lol: I decided to give it a go after that game and I can say that it works out great. I even gave the silo setup a little name, "suisilos", for suicide silos :P

Because of the distance it doesn't really matter how close they put their silos to your coast. I've had Russia put all 6 silos right up near mine and I still punch through to Leningrad and Moscow, if not with the first volley, with the second.

I like this because I always seem to lose my silos before they launch as europe. I'd rather use them on the major cities and forget about them. This doesn't, of course, stop Asia from putting a silo or two 2mm away from Cairo.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:26 am

This sort of thing is one of the reasons I avoid default scoring 6p games :x (Although a discussion on the inappropriateness of default scoring for global thermonuclear war is a topic for another thread :wink:)

Real reason - I'm too much of a cautious player and all the big cities get taken before I get around to them....

Cheers Tripper
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:58 am

torq wrote:My point is that bombers can do the work on Cairo, Moscow and Leningrad with the same (or probably higher) efficiency. And you can get your bombers really close to Cairo.

No, you can't.

The closer you go, the more bombers you lose. Your losses might be staggering unless you have Russia as an ally, and even with Russia, unacceptable. The timing is really tricky: if you want to hover over Cairo when waiting for the launch wait to pass, your bombers will be sitting ducks.

As a comparison, the silo cannot be destroyed before it launches its first nuke.

torq wrote:And another thing - with a setup like that Russia will most probably hit western Europe cities first. AND - Russian/Asian bombers might get even closer to Cairo than your silo.

So what if they hit Western EU first?

Russian/Asian bombers might get closer to Cairo, but at least for Russia it will be really tricky since they will be under constant fire from your silos when getting there. As for Asia.. Well, they have a really tight approach vector to Cairo from East, unless Russia is their ally. Still they have to choose either African airfields or your AA.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:12 pm

Pater wrote:
torq wrote:My point is that bombers can do the work on Cairo, Moscow and Leningrad with the same (or probably higher) efficiency. And you can get your bombers really close to Cairo.

No, you can't.

The closer you go, the more bombers you lose.

It's tricky but it's possible. Where do I lose my bombers? The only way I can lose bombers approaching Cairo from Spain is because of African silos located near Europe (which is unlikely).

Your losses might be staggering unless you have Russia as an ally, and even with Russia, unacceptable. The timing is really tricky: if you want to hover over Cairo when waiting for the launch wait to pass, your bombers will be sitting ducks.

Usually bombers begin their approach from around Iceland 3-4 minutes before Defcon 1. This way they'll reach their target just in time to release nukes and retreat. Timing is important but the whole Defcon game is about precise timing. :)

As a comparison, the silo cannot be destroyed before it launches its first nuke.

True but you lose 5 nukes after the first hit.

So what if they hit Western EU first?

Well, I mean that Russia may take advantage and level Europe before anybody else will get close to it (so the points from European population wouldn't spread among all players but will be taken exclusively by Russia). This way Europe and Russia will be at least equal in scores. And Russia can easily take Tokyo, US's west coast and Mexico with its subs. Thus, European advantage will be minimal, but Russia would still have silos.

Russian/Asian bombers might get closer to Cairo, but at least for Russia it will be really tricky since they will be under constant fire from your silos when getting there.

Nope. If you are using the Feud's tactics, your silos will be counting down and won't fire.

As for Asia.. Well, they have a really tight approach vector to Cairo from East, unless Russia is their ally. Still they have to choose either African airfields or your AA.

That depends on where the African airfields are. And given the bomber's quantity in the air by the time Defcon 1 sounds it's more than enough to hit numerous targets. Add to this subs launching from the 'armpits of India'.
NMO

Return to “Strategic Air Command”