Navigating the Bering Straits Graphic

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

barbarossa2
level1
level1

Navigating the Bering Straits Graphic

Postby barbarossa2 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:33 pm

Here is my take on the Bering Straits...

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Might as well plug the videos I recently made. :P

DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait

The following videos demonstrate how to navigate fleets of various sizes through the Bering Strait. Important things to note are ship positions and orders in relation to the highlighted landmarks in this picture. Also pay attention to which ship is selected when the order to move through the strait is issued.

YouTube Links:
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 1) - Navigating fleets consisting of 1 ship.
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 2) - Navigating fleets consisting of 2 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 3) - Navigating fleets consisting of 3 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 4) - Navigating fleets consisting of 4 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 5) - Navigating fleets consisting of 5 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait (part 6) - Navigating fleets consisting of 6 ships.

Higher Quality Videos:
Get them while you can...
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait.rar
DEFCON - Traversing the Bering Strait.rar (MIRROR)
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Those are actually really well done videos. Since watching them, even I have fine tuned my pass through the Straight.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
barbarossa2
level1
level1

Postby barbarossa2 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Yeah. Montyphy, I think they are great too. Everyone should know how to pass through them to make the game fair for all involved. Glad you posted them in this thread!
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:57 pm

good stuff. But it reminds me that my Bering butt post wasn't low-tech enough. I will try make another attempt.

*digs up pencil and paper from the drawer*
lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:48 pm

I think this is fantastic work.

Call me negative. but why not just put a better path search in 1.4 so we aren't forced to micromanage this aspect?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:05 am

lukasbradley wrote:I think this is fantastic work.

Call me negative. but why not just put a better path search in 1.4 so we aren't forced to micromanage this aspect?

I kind of like that it is difficult. Using the Bering Strait can provide a great advantage -- it should be hard to get that advantage. At least, in my not-so-humble opinion.

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:25 am

xander wrote:
lukasbradley wrote:I think this is fantastic work.

I kind of like that it is difficult. Using the Bering Strait can provide a great advantage -- it should be hard to get that advantage. At least, in my not-so-humble opinion.

I knew I could leave it to you to phrase what I was thinking but couldn't express.

Krytoss
level1
level1

Postby Krytoss » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:18 am

what, it should be hard to make ships cross a normal straight? this is something that shouldn't require a tutorial
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:26 pm

Krytoss wrote:what, it should be hard to make ships cross a normal straight? this is something that shouldn't require a tutorial

It doesn't require a tutorial. The tutorial was made because some people seemed to have problems. Personally, having made the videos I have fine tuned the technique and now find it to be relatively easy to do. Afterall, it's not exactly rocket science.

lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Montyphy wrote:
Krytoss wrote:what, it should be hard to make ships cross a normal straight? this is something that shouldn't require a tutorial

It doesn't require a tutorial. The tutorial was made because some people seemed to have problems. Personally, having made the videos I have fine tuned the technique and now find it to be relatively easy to do. Afterall, it's not exactly rocket science.

So let's ask this a different way, did the programmers design it to function like this?
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Considering how "tough" it is to get the ships through, I'ld say no.

I didn't know about the 'magic' spot above the island group, so I can't comment on it. I had my ships going through the Bering Strait a few times, but not from that spot. It seems to depend on where exactly you click above the Bering Strait, which always takes me more than just a few seconds to get right.
GrandfatherBones
level1
level1

Postby GrandfatherBones » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:23 pm

And what about this :

Just done it once. Never succeeded from south northwards.
Could someone help me do it again using the same kind of magic map. Both ways ?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:18 pm

GrandfatherBones wrote:And what about this :

<SNIP>

Just done it once. Never succeeded from south northwards.
Could someone help me do it again using the same kind of magic map. Both ways ?

DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait

Here's a rough guide on how to navigate any sized fleet through the Denmark Strait. While doing this you may notice there is a tendancy for fleets to temporarily head in the wrong before turning around and going through. It should also be noted that a lot of the time fleets will happily smash through Iceland and Greenland.

In the following picture take note of the marked positions and the vector marked in red. Although the positions will not be accessible to larger fleets, as long as you get close and match the vector you should get through.

YouTube Links:
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait (part 1) - Navigating fleets consisting of 1 ship.
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait (part 2) - Navigating fleets consisting of 2 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait (part 3) - Navigating fleets consisting of 3 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait (part 4) - Navigating fleets consisting of 4 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait (part 5) - Navigating fleets consisting of 5 ships.
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait (part 6) - Navigating fleets consisting of 6 ships.

Higher Quality Videos:
Get them while you can...
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait.rar
DEFCON - Traversing the Denmark Strait.rar (MIRROR)

barbarossa2
level1
level1

Postby barbarossa2 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:34 am

Kick ass Montyphy... The G-I portion of the GIUK gap was my next big project! But I see you saved me a lot of time!

Thanks!

I wish there were something similar for the Northwest Passage.

Return to “General”