Mix-n-Match

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Mix-n-Match

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:40 am

A few games, including a duel with xander, a duel with Feud, and a duel with an unworthy Feud CPU replacement.

A very interesting game with the one and only xander. :P
Just a simple game with some obvious newcomers. I sat back and watched mostly this game. Africa was just learning and caught between Europe and Asia. I cleared the Atlantic and then waited. Feud gave Africa some valuable tips and hints. Hopefully he'll put them to good use.

Feud wanted to go 1 vs 1 so we set it at random and had a very close game till the last few minutes. He put up one hell of a fight.

I wanted a rematch so we set it up one more time, but his connection wouldn't let him play, or so he says, heh. :P So, after waiting around (then checking the forum) I finally went after the worthless CPU replacement. You can see how that turned out. I lured its navy to my coast and then wiped it out. It never even fired a single sub.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:16 am

I'm rather sure you somehow cheated with extra nukes up your sleeves in the xander game. I mean, there's no way he'd lose under normal conditions! ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:39 pm

NeoThermic wrote:I'm rather sure you somehow cheated with extra nukes up your sleeves in the xander game. I mean, there's no way he'd lose under normal conditions! ;)

NeoThermic

You forget that I really hadn't played the game at all until the Mac beta. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Actually, I played the game rather poorly from the beginning. First off, as North America against South America, he saw all of my installations from the start. I tried to put my silos up north far enough to not be visible, but that didn't work very well. Second, I managed my fleets poorly. I lost most of my bombers in the initial engagement. Most of my subs actually got all of their nukes off, and my silos got most of their nukes off, but I never found his installations, due to the fact that I couldn't get my carriers into his waters.

I was actually neck-and-neck with Ace for most of the game. Of course, once he finally opened up his silos (which took way too long, in my opinion), it was all over.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:40 pm

Note: the "valuable tips and hints" I gave to Africa came at a point when it wouldn't have any effect onthe game. I wasn't pulling any of that spec cheating nonsense.

Also, the score on the first game between Ace and I is somewhat miselading. With just a few minutes left on the victory clock, I was only ahead by six or seven points. But, I managed to land four missles on Cairo (which up to that point had not been hit), and that's when I really pulled ahead. Had that last strike not hit I would have still won, but just barely. Also, by pure luck on my part i had what was left of my fleet sitting on top of Ace's sub group, had they not been there when he surfaced to launch, the game probably would have gone the other way. It was one of the closest, most hard fought game's I"ve played in months.

BTW Ace, everyone was talking about how one of my nuke strikes devestated your fleet. Since you were shooting my bombers down so fast, I almost never got to see what (if anything) I was actually hitting. So just how much damage did they actually do?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Feud wrote:Note: the "valuable tips and hints" I gave to Africa came at a point when it wouldn't have any effect onthe game. I wasn't pulling any of that spec cheating nonsense.

True, I hope nobody took it that way. I meant it in the sense of giving a newplayer good game playing advice, not cheating. Although I am very certain that I could have had a much higher score, Feud's comments were Edit: Not at all detrimental to that game.

Feud wrote:Also, the score on the first game between Ace and I is somewhat misleading. With just a few minutes left on the victory clock, I was only ahead by six or seven points. But, I managed to land four missiles on Cairo (which up to that point had not been hit), and that's when I really pulled ahead. Had that last strike not hit I would have still won, but just barely. Also, by pure luck on my part i had what was left of my fleet sitting on top of Ace's sub group, had they not been there when he surfaced to launch, the game probably would have gone the other way. It was one of the closest, most hard fought game's I've played in months.

Definitely a very intense game. I thought for sure that Cairo was relatively safe, although the purpose of my silo placement was not to protect it but rather my silos. I tried to lure away what I "thought" was over my subs and for a moment believed I had. I spotted a carrier closer to my western coast and had the other subs pinging their way south on what I believed to be the other side of that small fleet (thus subs on one side, battleship on the other, your fleet in the middle). I was mistaken and only two nukes were launched. :cry:

Feud wrote:BTW Ace, everyone was talking about how one of my nuke strikes devastated your fleet. Since you were shooting my bombers down so fast, I almost never got to see what (if anything) I was actually hitting. So just how much damage did they actually do?

Yeah, you're the first player to ever have any real success with tactical nukes against my fleet. At first, I didn't notice it until your bombers were on top of me and a couple of nukes were in the air. I tried avoiding them in the usual way and you hit one or two ships. After that, it seemed like every time you launched, you took out something. I beleive what the spectators were referring to was one nuke took out a group of four battleships turning around, and thus closer to one another than normal. I couldn't believe it myself. You definitely had me on my toes with my navy. :D Heh, I was working overtime trying to make sure that every bomber you put up in the air was taken down.

There was one point in the game that really made a difference early that those watching may have overlooked. I sent a bomber wave early in the game (after defcon 1) and was so busy micromanaging everywhere that I only used half of them. The other half, maybe 12 bombers, were left to circle back to carriers. I've been telling myself that I need to consolidate and co-ordinate my bomber strikes much more (à la Weps). That was one instance that could have won the game for me early on. I Could only see three of your silos and that extra 12 or so bombers would have allowed me to find the other three and get a few more hits possibly killing one or two silos early on. That in turn would have made my partial silo launch much more effective, reducing your output against mid/southern Africa and possibly keeping your kill total down enough.

I am also curious if you could see my naval units between our two territories closer to the end of the game. I am thinking if so, that is another crucial mistake I made.

In any event, I had partial satisfaction in taking out your CPU replacement, especially since it had an "enhanced" unit setup, not the standard haphazard CPU style.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:53 pm

The only time I could see your navy (during the end game) was when I had ships close enough to spot them. When I was chasing down your carrier group it was by pure accident that I found them.

And I know what you mean, durignteh height of the battle I forgot about one group of ships I had sent to try and scout africa, byt he time I remembered I had sent them they were almost wiped out by your ground based aircarft.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:37 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:I'm rather sure you somehow cheated with extra nukes up your sleeves in the xander game. I mean, there's no way he'd lose under normal conditions! ;)

NeoThermic

You forget that I really hadn't played the game at all until the Mac beta. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Actually, I played the game rather poorly from the beginning. First off, as North America against South America, he saw all of my installations from the start. I tried to put my silos up north far enough to not be visible, but that didn't work very well. Second, I managed my fleets poorly. I lost most of my bombers in the initial engagement. Most of my subs actually got all of their nukes off, and my silos got most of their nukes off, but I never found his installations, due to the fact that I couldn't get my carriers into his waters.

I was actually neck-and-neck with Ace for most of the game. Of course, once he finally opened up his silos (which took way too long, in my opinion), it was all over.

xander

Somehow I missed this. Anyway...

Actually, I think I only saw your silos (trying to remember) when you opened them up. I'm pretty sure I couldn't see them on radar. I am for sure I couldn't see your bases on radar. Your biggest mistake in my opinion was trying to piecemeal your silos. That almost never works effectively against an experienced player. Just my $0.02.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “The Debriefing Room”