New patch (v1.3) ready for BETA

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

New patch (v1.3) ready for BETA

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Hot on the heals of the 1.2 MOD patch for Defcon, we are now beginning the beta process for our new 1.3 patch. This patch adds an Alliance Whiteboard to the game. The alliance whiteboard is basically an overlay that you can draw onto (eg battle plans, enemy unit locations etc), and your whiteboard is shared with your Alliance mates. You can use this to communicate your manic plans for destruction with your fellow team mates. Or if you're bored, play tic-tac-toe while you wait for your inevitable doom.

Download link

This patch is completely backwards compatible with all previous versions. However the game server must be at least version 1.3 for the whiteboard messages to be properly relayed to your teammates. If the game server is an earlier version than 1.3 the whiteboard will be disabled.

Clients will only see the whiteboard if they are running 1.3 (obviously).

This patch was written entirely by François Gagné - otherwise known as FrenchFrog. He's been busy writing numerous patches for Uplink, and is now working on Defcon patches too. He'll be handling the beta process for this patch.

Please post all comments and bugs in the Beta Testing forum, as usual.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:06 pm

YAAAAAaaaAAaAaY!~
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
zkl
level2
level2
Location: (zkl aka bonsai), Doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby zkl » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11 pm

defcon is my first introversion game and i must say this patching and support is awesome!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Awesome!

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:46 pm

This is sorta along the lines of what I was thinking...

Team Maneuvers
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Beautiful :)
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:40 pm

zkl wrote:defcon is my first introversion game and i must say this patching and support is awesome!

that's the advantage of a small game dev who doesn't aim to be named "best game in the universe!" every year. :)
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Dang IT!! Can't wait to get home to see it. :evil:
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:32 pm

I was wondering how complex would it be to add a eta timer on the nuke example when choseing a target to nuke u get a eta timer tht displays how long in transit to tht target it takes.

can this be added by a modder or can it only be added in a patch from introversion.?
MIKES
level2
level2

Postby MIKES » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Excellent progress.
Thanks again!

MIKES
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 pm

xander wrote:Awesome!

xander

agrees:

awesome!
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:40 pm

I haven't been happy with the slowness of the patching cycle due to what appear to be numerous unfixed bugs, performance issues, and network snits, but I am happy to see an innovative feature such as the whiteboard added.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:47 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:I haven't been happy with the slowness of the patching cycle due to what appear to be numerous unfixed bugs, performance issues, and network snits, but I am happy to see an innovative feature such as the whiteboard added.
Which planet do you live on man?! I've only seen one other company which patches games so quickly, and they're another independant lot! (Tripwire)! This is the third major patch, and there've been several beta versions of each patch, and it's not even three months yet, that's a patch a month!

The preformance is good enough, the network issues are 99% setup and there're a minimal amount of bugs, none of which are particularily show-stopping. Besides, it'd probablty take lack of backwards compatability to fix most of them and then you'd be complaining about that!
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:50 pm

MrBunsy wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:I haven't been happy with the slowness of the patching cycle due to what appear to be numerous unfixed bugs, performance issues, and network snits, but I am happy to see an innovative feature such as the whiteboard added.
Which planet do you live on man?! I've only seen one other company which patches games so quickly, and they're another independant lot! (Tripwire)! This is the third major patch, and there've been several beta versions of each patch, and it's not even three months yet, that's a patch a month!

The preformance is good enough, the network issues are 99% setup and there're a minimal amount of bugs, none of which are particularily show-stopping. Besides, it'd probablty take lack of backwards compatability to fix most of them and then you'd be complaining about that!

What do you mean by backwards compatibility? I'd have no problem if version 1.6 didn't work with version 1.5. Remember DOOM? The issue isn't so much as the time to patch release, but it seems there is much low hanging fruit to patch, and this has been mostly ignored in favor of new features.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:59 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:

What do you mean by backwards compatibility? I'd have no problem if version 1.6 didn't work with version 1.5. Remember DOOM? The issue isn't so much as the time to patch release, but it seems there is much low hanging fruit to patch, and this has been mostly ignored in favor of new features.
That's rather the definition of lack of backwards compatibility, yes. I've no idea what the phrase "low hanging fruit" means, but yes we have mostly been getting new features rather than bug fixes. My theory about this is that there's going to be a big patch, lots of bug fixes, changes to network code, etc when the mac version is launched (I've got some fairly solid reasons, I can't quote from anywhere off the top of my head though), and anything not backwards compatible until then is being saved up. If the issue isn't time to release then why did you say it was?

Return to “General”