General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Alyssa
level1
level1

How about a Nintendo DS version?

Postby Alyssa » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:39 pm

This game will absolutely rock and i would love to play that on a Nintendo DS

ok i am clearly on drugs, i know staff is limited and it would be difficult for many reasons

but since this game:

-doesn't require much graphic power
-would suit perfectly with double screen
-can be easily controlled with touch screen
-can be played online
-lacks giant enemy crabs

i think it could really do massive damage on Nintendo DS

are there any plans around on kidnapping staff and their family to force Introversion to program a NDS port?

anyway well done Introversion, this game looks very cool
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Interesting that someone said the very same thing about Darwinia. Fooled by the simplistic look of the graphics - but my 2-year old laptop barely runs Uplink or Darwinia, so if that's anything to go by the DS could be in trouble.

It's an idea that's got potential, although the small resolution of the DS could also potentially detract from the gameplay, and as I don't know that much about Defcon yet (being without the internet for a long time, I haven't been drooling over every released screenshot), I don't know whether good use could be made of the dual screen. Unfortunately, it's not likely to happen anytime soon, although Nintendo Wifi games would have been fun!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm

well. look at the nintendo ds development tools you could for sure write a client for the defcon protocol (if you get your hands on it) and play with other windows and linux and mac and steam users over the 'net.

the graphics may need some adaption to the DS, but i am quite sure that a port would rock. however: i will never be good enough at nds dev and/or programming and will never have enough time to do this "port" (rather a clone, of sorts)
Mushy
level0

Postby Mushy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:31 pm

a port on PSP, with the large screen would be even more cool
just misses the touch screen ...

*thinking a bout playing defcon in my bed :roll: *
Jetpac
level2
level2

Postby Jetpac » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:34 pm

it would be a fantastic addition to NDS

HOWEVER:

defcon lacks the strength ing single player to be a worth while release (however much i would lover to play it on the go).
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:40 pm

imagine drawing airplanes and ships and nuclear warhead arcs and have the game launch those :D
that would be awesome
Hoxe
level1
level1

Postby Hoxe » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:01 pm

Jetpac wrote:it would be a fantastic addition to NDS

HOWEVER:

defcon lacks the strength ing single player to be a worth while release (however much i would lover to play it on the go).

you are forgetting NDS has wifi
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Heh, a gesture system for the unit placement :o
I'm still fuming that no local game stores have any decent DS games at the moment...
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:33 pm

Nintendo Wifi Connection FTW!

also imagine vocal chat or using customizable vocal commands via built in microphone

"eat this"
"make it happen"
"smile"
"say cheese"

it would be funny if you could simulate double key turning procedure to launch warheads by touching screen with both thumbs
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Touching screen with thumbs :o Blasphemy :P
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:42 pm

how about touching L and R at the same time? or <- and A?
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:11 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Fooled by the simplistic look of the graphics - but my 2-year old laptop barely runs Uplink or Darwinia, so if that's anything to go by the DS could be in trouble.

can't use computer power as a comparison. Doom 3 was ported (very well) to the X-Box with a 700mhz GPU & a lower end geforce gpu while hte PC version required a much more powerfull system to get the same performance.

Let's face it: the PC OS sucks up WAY to much power. We need games with their own bootable disk's & OS's. :D
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:12 pm

wrong. just look at what resolution the xbox and other consoles have to generate.

you can use the same hardware to get the same (well, almost) result on a pc (at least when running linux. windows sure is quite heavy on the resources)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:40 pm

TheHappyFriar wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:Fooled by the simplistic look of the graphics - but my 2-year old laptop barely runs Uplink or Darwinia, so if that's anything to go by the DS could be in trouble.

can't use computer power as a comparison. Doom 3 was ported (very well) to the X-Box with a 700mhz GPU & a lower end geforce gpu while hte PC version required a much more powerfull system to get the same performance.

Let's face it: the PC OS sucks up WAY to much power. We need games with their own bootable disk's & OS's. :D

Point taken, but if the original post was "hey, what about porting to XBOX?" then I'd have nothing more to say. I know PCs are no comparison - Darwinia doesn't run on Windows on my laptop, but runs quite well on a clean, sleek install of Linux. (My laptop has a 2.66 GHz, not a "mobile" processor, and 512MB RAM - it's the graphics card that lets it down.)

But remember we're talking about a machine with two small handheld processors - the more powerful of which runs at about 70 MHz if I remember correctly.

We'll see how Defcon runs on Friday!

steve
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:50 pm

uuh, youre doing a horrible mistake comparing frequency values.

not only do you have two different cpus in the NDS, they also are not x86 and also not x86_64 (like amd64) but they are ARM.
i honestly have no clue about the ARM architecture itself, but architecture does matter. sometimes a whole woopin' lot.

and also: a port of defcon to the NDS 1:1 would be silly and plain suck.
you have to put a lot of thought into using the rather unusual interface scheme (yes, touchscreen, i'm talking about YOU!)...
for example you could put the map on the top screen and have chat and buttons on the bottom screen and when placing units or so you'd touch an icon on the touchscreen effectively causing the map to move from the topscreen to the touchscreen.

or you could have the whole map on top with some status icons and a zoomed version on the bottom screen which you can pan/drag or the other way around.

Return to “General”