Fix Sync...

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MadSeven
level2
level2

Fix Sync...

Postby MadSeven » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:54 am

Lately first position on my "things to fix" list, has been the synchronizing. I am no dev, nor claim to know much about it, but isn't it possible to save the game state (on the client) when a clients connection is dropped, then synchronize from there? It seems (see above comment), that the game "restarts" when you reconnect. All actions are replayed and so on....correct? I really believe this should be high priority, since almost every game looses one or two players "along the way". Rejoining is not really an option, since by the time you get back in, your beautiful SA has been set back to the time BEFORE the Maya's and Inca's (right xander?)

Any comments? Any tweaks that reduce the time needed to sync?

Maddie
shole
level1
level1

Re: Fix Sync...

Postby shole » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:58 pm

MadSeven wrote:isn't it possible to save the game state (on the client) when a clients connection is dropped, then synchronize from there?

no
at the time you can save a gamestate that is in sync, you have no way of knowing if that state would ever be needed
and when you do, it's too late, as you are out of sync

going through a log of the entire game log is quite ridiculous though
i frankly don't understand why it is done to begin with
would be much easier to just sychronize client/host unit locations and values and other game parameters
i would figure this would take something like 10 seconds at most
unless if there's some unknown magic being done with the log thingamabob
MadSeven
level2
level2

Postby MadSeven » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:36 pm

True, but I do not mean the saved game to be a "synced" game, I mean it to be a restoral point, guess I phrased that wrong. If you had some autosave option every 10 minutes or so, then you would only have to resync from the last succesfull save. I am sure some clever algorithm could be applied to determine if that last save game is "synced enough" to be used. It sure would beat going through the entire game?
Once again, I'm no dev, but it should be possible? Let's compare it to company backups; instead of doing a full backup and a full restore, use something "incremental" or "differential"?
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:51 pm

It's one of the things being asked about in 'most desired patch upgrade' thread, so I imagine (or hope) it will come eventually.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:09 am

I met chris who was spectating my game the other day, I got disconnected and took a long time to reconnect so I complained. He said they're working on it.

This is my biggest gripe with this game so far.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
GlassThatRock
level1
level1

Postby GlassThatRock » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Same here. It is making the game increasingly unplayable when a momentary network drop out can result in sync dialogs proclaiming that it will take 28 minutes for you to get back in the game. No way does it need to replay the whole thing from the start. Just pick up the state of every object in the game from the server and transmit that, and sync from there. You can't tell me that's more than a few Kb of data surely?

Return to “Think Tank”