New Darwinia interview at SFFworld

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Tarn
level1
level1

New Darwinia interview at SFFworld

Postby Tarn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:41 am

Hi guys, I thought you may be interested in an interview with Chris Delay that we just published at SFFworld.com. Chris had lots of very interesting things to say about the game:

http://www.sffworld.com/mul/198p0.html

I just want to thank Chris again, getting to ask him some interview questions was very exciting as I'm a rather big Darwinia fan (as can be seen in my review!).

Hope some of you find the interview interesting!
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:17 pm

Nice interview, a good read.

HOLY SHIT I POSTED IN THE DARWINIA FORUM.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:12 am

B5 -- you don't mind if I call you that, do you, B5? -- what the hell, if I am be so bold, are you doing on the Darwinia boards? :P

Good interview by the way. It brought something to mind: I was listening to the radio yesterday, and some commentator suggested that the Democrats in the US are losing to the Republicans because they are trying to appease the Right -- that is, they are becoming more centrist (and even Right Wing) in order to pick up moderate voters. What they should be doing is appealing to the base set of Left Wing voters. The first paragraph of the interview was a fairly good paraphrase of that -- Chris stated something to the effect of "we are trying to make a game for those that have seen the cult films. If other people like the game, yay for them." Rather than trying to appeal to the mass of gamers, IV is appealing to a "base" of cult fans, and hoping that word of mouth will spread the word.

I like this strategy.

Long live IV!

xander
Tarn
level1
level1

Postby Tarn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:52 am

Indeed, while you might not have such a wide userbase as other mainstream games, you're pretty much guaranteed that those that do play your game will love it much more than the other mainstream games.

Of course, ideally you want a game that is loved in a culty way, but which also sells in a big mainstream way. Then you're sorted. ;)

Glad you enjoyed the interview!
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:09 am

xander wrote:B5 -- you don't mind if I call you that, do you, B5? -- what the hell, if I am be so bold, are you doing on the Darwinia boards? :P

xander

Beats the hell out of me :p

And, sure, call be B5 if you want =D

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:02 pm

Tarn wrote:Indeed, while you might not have such a wide userbase as other mainstream games, you're pretty much guaranteed that those that do play your game will love it much more than the other mainstream games.

Of course, ideally you want a game that is loved in a culty way, but which also sells in a big mainstream way. Then you're sorted. ;)

Glad you enjoyed the interview!

Not even that, but if you appeal to the cult audience, you have a dedicated fan base that is willing to proselitize, thus bringing in a larger audience. For instance, IV has a pretty hard core fan base, yet has been able to capitalize on a more mainstream audience with Steam. Some of that is due to the fact that the folk that run Steam have a cult streak running through them, and really love Darwinia. Mobilize your base, and the rest will follow :)

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Tarn wrote:Of course, ideally you want a game that is loved in a culty way, but which also sells in a big mainstream way. Then you're sorted. ;)

Like Doctor Who.

If you replace "game" with "television program" then you're sorted.

Return to “General”