Game Complete but i still don't now the ending :(

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

kim
level0

Game Complete but i still don't now the ending :(

Postby kim » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:47 pm

I was playing the game and was happy that the last email was destroyed.

i was seeing the end when all of a sudden i found myself on the desktop.

I can't see the ending again because the temple is complete
I can't reset the temple to do it again so i could see the ending

i cant use the world editor because of this bug :(

Is there a way to activate it?
otherwise i have to play the game all over again.

I got the map editor working now thx to Starfyre for his help.
ck
level0

Postby ck » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 am

Same problem here.

Just in the middle of what I assume was the final cutscreen the whole game packed up, and now all levels are set to complete as they were left.

Is there anything one can do except restarting the game?
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:15 am

De-redshirt the game.txt file in your profile, add this:

Event AlwaysTrue
Action RunScript gameover
End

Event AlwaysTrue
Action RunScript gameover.txt
End

re-redshirt, start game, enter any area. That should hopefully work.
Last edited by Jackmn on Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ck
level0

Postby ck » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:30 am

Thanks.

But what do you mean by de-redshirt the game.txt? Do I need to decode the text somehow, and if so how does one go about doing it?
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:46 am

Read the general forum, there is a thread on it. You'll have to compile one of the programs listed. I highly recommend afx's source.
amygdala
level1
level1

Postby amygdala » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:08 am

Same thing happened to me:

Crash to Desktop during endgame speech.

I don't know the speech, and I have no level editor.

And the recommended fix is to recompile my game file? really?
Wyverncrest
level1
level1

Postby Wyverncrest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:06 am

I also experienced a crash during the ending, but after using the workaround described here to make the script start again (by decrypting, editing, and encrypting the game.txt file), I continued to experience an identical crash every time. It was occurring after the camera panned over Biosphere, and just after reentering Receiver.

At first, I thought the problem was related to the ending itself, but it actually seems to have been caused by the saved state in the Receiver map. It turns out that I couldn't reenter that level at all without the game crashing. I was able to get the map to load again only by clearing all objects from the mission_receiver_recapture.txt file (againt by decrypting, editing, and reencrypting).

I've retained a copy of the file that caused the error. If people express interest, I could post it so somebody can try to spot the problem.
Mike_box
level1
level1

End Crash

Postby Mike_box » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:07 am

I experienced the same crash.

I wouldn't be so bad if the editor content wasnt locked to us even though we beat the game.
To compound matters the form mediators are being silly about it as well, they delete messages with code you need for the editor, citing that you need to beat the game to get it.
Well guys, we DID beat it, and due to the buggy game we cant access the code.
:x
odinswolf
level0

Postby odinswolf » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:41 pm

waiting on a fix or patch...... its not like theres only 1 or 2 people with this fault :evil:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:11 pm

amygdala wrote:And the recommended fix is to recompile my game file? really?

You are not recompiling the game. That would require source code, among other things. What you are doing is decrypting a preferences file (specifically, game.txt), making some small changes, and reencrypting it. When Jackmn talks about compiling a program, he is talking about compiling one of the programs that can decrypt and encrypt the file. If you do not want to mess with C code, I believe that there is also a perl version. However, as I do not yet have the game (being on a Mac), I cannot tell you how well any of the programs might work.

xander
odinswolf
level0

Postby odinswolf » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:04 pm

but a lot of people do not know how to do this.. me being one. All i want is the game to work without all the mucking about
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:49 pm

odinswolf wrote:but a lot of people do not know how to do this.. me being one. All i want is the game to work without all the mucking about

Yes, we all want the game to work perfectly, as does IV (I think :?). And I would be willing to bet that IV will fix the root problem at some point. When that might happen, I don't know. Until that time, we must make due. Not to be overly pedantic or rude, but you seem to have three options:
    1) Wait for IV to release a patch that fixes the problem
    2) Use the methods described above to work around the problem
    3) Stop playing darwinia

I am sorry that your experience is not all that it can be. I wish I could make it better, but that is beyond my power. At least you have the game -- I am still waiting for Ambrosia to release the Mac version...

xander
Danielkirk1
level1
level1

Postby Danielkirk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:25 am

xander wrote:
odinswolf wrote:but a lot of people do not know how to do this.. me being one. All i want is the game to work without all the mucking about

Yes, we all want the game to work perfectly, as does IV (I think :?). And I would be willing to bet that IV will fix the root problem at some point. When that might happen, I don't know. Until that time, we must make due. Not to be overly pedantic or rude, but you seem to have three options:
    3) Stop playing darwinia
I am sorry that your experience is not all that it can be. I wish I could make it better, but that is beyond my power. At least you have the game -- I am still waiting for Ambrosia to release the Mac version...

xander

That's not a good response. If i bought a game, i would certainly want to see the whole ending. 1) we shoulden't have to wait for anything
2) I know nothing about that stuff so don't go there 3) Well that was a great opinion, i love spending money on games because they make great drink coasters if they don't work! Thank god you didn't invent the game, or your company would go broke.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:28 pm

Danielkirk1 wrote:
xander wrote:

3) Stop playing darwinia

xander

That's not a good response. If i bought a game, i would certainly want to see the whole ending. 1) we shoulden't have to wait for anything
2) I know nothing about that stuff so don't go there 3) Well that was a great opinion, i love spending money on games because they make great drink coasters if they don't work! Thank god you didn't invent the game, or your company would go broke.

I did not say that it was a good response. I just said that those were your options. I can't think of anything else. I would love to be able to help. However, there exists a problem which cannot be solved except through (1) waiting, (2) using redshirt, or (3) giving up. No, we shouldn't have to wait. No, we should not be forced to use an arcane ritual to make things work properly. But, like it or not, those are the options.

IV is a small company. They work very hard and have created something that is (in my opinion) very cool. If you care to support them, give them time and understanding. These issues will (I hope) get fixed.

There is no reason to attack me personally. If you can see a better solution, please, by all means, let me know. I do not work for IV. I do not speak for them. I just want to play the game, and am relaying my understanding of the way things stand. Furthermore, if you do not think that my response is appropriate, why don't you offer some constructive critism, rather than attempting to tear down all of the points that I made? Is that 'a good response'?

xander
louman
level0

Postby louman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:32 am

Jackmn wrote:De-redshirt the game.txt file in your profile, add this:

Event AlwaysTrue
Action RunScript gameover
End

Event AlwaysTrue
Action RunScript gameover.txt
End

re-redshirt, start game, enter any area. That should hopefully work.

it certainly doesn't work :(

i also accidentally deleted all of my progress... so maybe i can learn how to hack the save files to give me access to the map editor. -_-

Return to “Windows Issues”